Looking for the Best Oil For Griddle Cooking? Let’s Get After It…
Griddles, or flattop stoves, are great for making flavorsome food. For the uninitiated, a griddle is like a flat surface that’s used for making food. Griddles come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and the construction of the product determines how effectively it can cook various dishes and recipes.
Today, the most common griddles are either made of cast iron or are electric ones that have a non-stick surface and don’t need the regular stove. Regardless of what you have at home or plan to buy, you need to season the griddle each time before making a batch. It goes without saying the right oil makes a difference in griddle cooking. In this post, we will talk about the best oil for griddle cooking.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Crisco Professional Oil Spray
Reviewing the best oils for griddle cooking
When it comes to cast iron griddles, seasoning the pan is extremely important, which makes the pan non-sticky. We reviewed the four options that work ideally for griddle cooking, including products that can make spraying on the pan an easy option.
- Crisco Professional Oil Spray. This is a 12-ounce bottle, which is made of canola oil and is great for quick spraying. To use this oil spray for the griddle, shake the product first, hold it around 6 inches away from the food or the griddle and spray as required. Be safe: Do NOT spray near open flames. The product can be used for grilling and smokers, as well.
- Oil and Water Griddle Squeeze Bottle Set with Caddy. A lot of chefs don’t like using ready cans and sprays, so if you are one of them, consider getting this bottle set. You get two 16-ounce Squeeze Bottles, which allow you to add both water and oil to each, for easy cooking on the go. The product may not work like a spray, but is still very effective for griddle cooking.
- Olive Oil Sprayer from CHUANGSI. Most experts agree that pomace or light olive oil is great for griddles and grilling, and for that, you need this product from CHUANGSI. This cooking sprayer comes with a button for quick spray and is made of high-quality 304 stainless steel and transparent glass (food-grade). The built-in nozzle can prevent dust pollution, and we had no issues like leakage of oil. The product can be used for other oils too and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- DWELLZA KITCHEN Olive Oil Dispenser and Oil Sprayer. If you want a dual set for easy cooking on the go, this one from Dwellza Kitchen is just ideal. It includes an oil mister spray, which can be used for any oil, and you can easily spray without bothering about leakage. A lot of people don’t like to use store-bought cooking sprays, mainly because these contain aerosol, and this one ensures you use fresh oil, each time.
- Spray Lite Cooking Spray Olive Oil. Spray lite brings a cooking spray in three different variants – coconut, natural and olive, and this is the olive-oil spray. When you want to control calories while cooking on the griddle, this is a great choice, which is formulated in the US. Make sure that you shake the product well before use, and DO NOT use it on heated pans and close to flames.
All about finding the best oil for griddle cooking
Oils are nothing but fats, so you need to consider the purpose and nutrition of the oil before taking a call. In the case of electric griddles, you already have a non-stick coating, so the choice of oil doesn’t really matter, as far as seasoning is concerned. We still recommend that you go for healthier oils, such as coconut or olive oil. If you are using olive oil, opt for the lighter variants. Many chefs also swear by the benefits of flaxseed oil, and in case, you are looking for cheaper alternatives for electric griddles, go for canola or soybean oil, which is just fine.
It is also a good idea to use a spray bottle for griddle cooking, especially if you want to cut down the calories considerably. For cast iron griddles, make sure to use lighter oils, such as vegetable oils, although these are not very high on nutritional value.