Looks like you need the best hammer for forging knives. Let’s get after it…
When you want to smack into things, any carpenter hammer would do. Forging and blacksmithing work is a completely different game altogether. When it comes to forging knives, you need what’s also called the blacksmith hammer or peen hammers. The name is because the peen runs horizontally to the hammer’s handle. There are practically endless types of hammers to choose from, and in this guide, we are helping you choose the best hammer for forging knives in particular.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Reviewing the top products
Before we get into the basics of selecting a hammer, here are some of the top-rated hammers that we liked.
- Japanese Blacksmith Hammer. Also called a dog head hammer, this one is great for forging, and yes, for making knives. The product has a traditional bladesmith hammer design while the weight and size are such that it makes the process of forging simple. As the name indicates, this is a forging hammer that’s inspired from Japan and has Japanese kanji for “swordsmith” engraved on it.
- FiskarsIsoCore 3 Pound Club Hammer. This is a 3-pound hammer from Fiskars, which is an ideal one for demolition work and single-handed use. The extra-large diameter of the hammer improves strike accuracy, while Patented IsoCore Shock Control System minimizes shock while working. Compared to some of the traditional models, this one has 5X more destructive power. In terms of pricing, this is one of the most budget products we found.
- KSEIBI 271450 Cross Pein Hammer Soft Grip handle. If you are looking for a budget hammer for blacksmithing, we recommend this one. KSEIBI brings this product that’s ideal for metal fabrication in particular, especially for use with angled sheet metal. This is a cross-peen hammer, which has one round face and another wedge-peen face. We liked this product for the price, and for those who are just starting with knife forging, we believe that the hammer will be great for initial practice.
- Jackson 3-Pound Cross Pein Hammer. This product comes from The AMES Companies, Inc and is designed for blacksmithing work. The product comes with a hardwood handle, although there is a second variant that comes with a fiberglass handle. If you need to get a basic hammer for forging needs, we recommend that you consider this one.
- Hammer & Tongs Blacksmith Starter Kit. For those who are just starting out with forging, this kit from Whitlox is a complete steal. The set comes with a cross peen hammer along with an apron, safety glasses, wolf jaw tongs, steel brush, and beeswax. The set should be handy for regular use and will find diverse use in the world of blacksmithing.
Selecting the best hammer for forging knives
First and foremost, you need to know that there are varied types of hammers out there, so you need to find one that’s designed specifically for forging in particular. Secondly, there are some blacksmithing hammers, which can be used for other purposes, as well. It largely depends if you want to do more with a forging knife. Here are some of the other things that should influence your choice while buying the best hammer for forging knives.
- Size and weight matter. In the case of hammers designed for forging knives; both weight and size matter, and yes, you don’t need the biggest hammer. It is also about skill and how you use the hammer in the first place.
- It goes without saying that the choice of manufacturers does matter for selecting hammers for forging. Go for a brand that you can rely on, and yes, check the specifications in detail.
- While hammers are not that expensive, we recommend that you shell a tad more on the right product. Make sure that the hammer you choose is a good one that’s meant to last, even if the price is beyond the basics.
Forging hammers, especially the ones that are designed for knife making, should have enough force. You have to check what other people are saying about a hammer before taking the call, so reviews on online sites can be handy. The five products we have mentioned are great for beginners and experts alike, and you can always compare these based on your requirements. Think of the hammer as your foremost tool, and you can take the call.
Forging knives is cool as f***. Having the perfect hammer to do so is even better. When you find the perfect hammer that just feels so right in your hand, you will know that it is going to be the option that is perfect for your needs. You will just know it’s the right one as soon as you get it in your hands. The problem here being that it is impossible to put one of these bad boys in your hand before you buy it, unless of course you go out looking for them to get the feel. So, here is what we are going to do, my guy, we are going to do everything we can short of putting the hammer in your hand so you know you are making the choice that will set you up for success every time you go to forge a new knife. Like, we want to give you the hammer that means a lot to you has a knife maker. The hammer that you depend on for years to come, the hammer that gets worn down to the nub because you love to use it so much. That is what Club ManDude wants to do for you. Let us take all the guesswork out of the situation by bringing you the options that dudes love to use for forging knives. All we want to do is be able to make our dudes lives easier by narrowing down all the options out there. It can be a daunting task to weed through thousands of potential options out there while on the quest to figure out which one is going to be the “best”. So take a look at what we have laid out for you and we sincerely hope you are going to find an option that suits you just right.
We do not necessarily expect you to know the best knife forging hammer brands right off the top of your head. If you did, you may have already completed your quest! But since you are here looking, we made sure to embark on a little quest of our own to figure out which brands are going to be the ones that have the best hammers to offer. There are so many different tool makers out there, it can be a challenge to narrow things down to a few of the best options. But we did it! Take a look at each hammer, there are unique features with every one of them to hopefully give you something to set each option apart from the rest. That is what we want! We want you to find the hammer that screams your name very time you bust it out. One hammer that may be the absolute best option for one guy may not be for the next. So take a look at what each one has to offer and we believe you are going to find some unique features that you will immediately love.
When you take a look at the price tags of these bad boys, you are going to see that we successfully found options that are comparably priced! Nothing says “buy me” quite like having options with similar pricing will still being able to bring the heat when it comes to getting the job done. Hand tools can be tricky, there are tons of manufacturers out there making tons of different tools, and some of them just do not hold up to the competition. Nothing is more frustrating than buying a new tool you hope you can trust, only to have the damn thing bust on you shortly after you buy it. Well, buyer’s remorse no more! We always make sure our options are firing on all cylinders. You are going to get a tool you can depend on at a great price from an awesome manufacturer that will last for years to come every time you forge a new knife. It is win, win, my guy! And hey, if you happen to find an even better option out there, let us know! We always want to make sure we are staying on top of all the best stuff out there, so let us know if you find something even better to get our guys excited about.
Also, if you want some more information before you buy, we’ve got you covered. Head over to Amazon and check out some buyer verified reviews before you make your purchase. What you are going to find is plenty of positivity surrounding these hammers, which is exactly what we want for you. See what other guys are saying before you buy, and we think you will be pleasantly surprised.
What we want for you, my dude, is to find the absolute best knife-forging hammer money can buy. And we are confident that we have found the options that may just be perfect for you. Enjoy the forge, fellas!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What would be the ideal handle length of my hammer?
Most hammers with a 14” handlebar will be enough for the majority of the people. However, they may not work out for people who have bigger hands. In such instances, you can consider going for a 15” or 16” handle length for more comfort.
2. Which hammer should I choose as a novice?
If you are an amateur, it is best to go with cross pein with wood handles. When it comes to weight, you should go with one that you find the most comfortable.
You can try to refine your technique, become faster and better at forging knives, and eventually choose an upgraded design, such as a titanium or fiberglass one.
3. What makes up for a good hammer for forging knives?
As forging knives would be one of the fundamental processes in blacksmithing, you should select a sturdy hammer of moderate size. If you are looking for the best, you have to consider the type of knife and look for an appropriate hammer.