Masterbuilt is known for making some of the best electric smokers, and if you already have a setup, the next step is to choose the best wood chips. The good thing is many of the wood chips come in sets, which means you can try a number of flavors. In this post, we will talk of the five best ones that we found to be great that nice smoky effect.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Western Premium BBQ Products Mesquite Smoking Chips
The best 5 wood chips options!
- Western Premium BBQ Products Mesquite Smoking Chips. Mesquite is a traditional favorite when it comes to beef, chicken and turkey. In fact, in Texas, Mesquite flavored ribs are a classic item on the menu. The flavor is bold and tangy, and this product is made with 100% Natural Raw Wood. If you are looking for real mesquite, this is one to go for.
- Weber Cubic Meter Stephen Products 17140 Cherry Wood Chips. If you prefer a sweet and sour taste in your meats, cherry is a nice flavor to try. You can use these chips in any Masterbuilt Electric Smoker for smoking fishes like salmon or light meats, including chicken. Cherry also works wonders with vegetables.
- Bar-B-Q Pecan Wood Chips. For those looking for natural wood chips in pecan flavor, this is a great buy by all means. Ideal for gas, charcoal & smoker grills, the product is aptly price. Pecan works perfectly well with pork and chicken, especially when you add in some cheese. The flavor isn’t too overpowering, which is why with works well with chops and ribs.
- Montana Grilling Gear Smoking and Cooking Wood Chips (Sugar Maple). Montana Smoking Chips is organic and pesticide free and can be used for charcoal, gas, propane or electric grills. These chips start smoking in a minute and don’t have any dust. Sugar Maple is a great flavor for meats like chicken and pork, and since it has a mild flavor; it also works well with veggies.
- Smokehouse Products All Natural Flavored Wood Smoking Chips (Hickory). Hickory is often a liked flavor of smoking, and it works wondrously well with ham and beef. Hickory is a kind of strong flavor, which has a bacon-like smell, which makes it a good choice for pork, as well. This company, in particular, also has flavors like alder and apple.
How to select wood chips for smokers?
Masterbuilt Electric Smokers are known for performance, but what makes a difference is the kind of flavor you use for the meat. Chefs usually have a clear idea of what flavor goes well with what kind of meats, so it makes a difference as to how the good stuff tastes at a restaurant. Here are some of the things to consider.
- The meat. This is a no-brainer, but yes, meats that don’t have a flavor of their own require something more unique and stronger. For example, for chicken or salmon, you may want to settle for peach or apple. Fruit scents are strong and can immediately work well with meats, including veggies. For meats that have a strong flavor, such as pork and turkey, maple, pecan and hickory are good options.
- The quality. When it comes to wood chips, nothing is more important than quality. If possible, select a brand that you can rely on, and we have mentioned some of the better options right above.
- Organic and pesticide free. Consider going for organic and pesticide-free wood chips that always enhance the flavor and are an obvious healthy choice. There are selected options we agree, but that should be a given choice.
With Masterbuilt Electric Smokers, you already have a good product for smoking, selecting wooden chips with distinct flavor only makes the flavors better. Some of the other flavors you can try to include apple, apricot, ash, beech, birch, cedar, peach and pear. Make sure that the product you choose smokes easily – The best ones usually smoke within a minute. Also, check if you can buy two or more flavors in the same package, which is a good way to save some money. Next time you smoke your meats, ensure that the flavors get better, depending on whether you like it strong or mild.