Dudes, now that you’ve reached the fatherly right of passage of coaching or cheering your child’s baseball (or softarball) games, it is now necessary to find said child the best bat to set them up for success in their sportly endeavors, and probably for life as well. Not just any bat is going to do, you have to do your homework and find the best quality bat that fits the grip of these younger players with the density and weight to knock it out of the park (get it?) . There are plenty of online charts out there that explain how to select the best baseball bat for your little slugger, but here are the five baseball bats we recommend basted on the scientific method….and many many summers of little league practice and playing ball in the bakcyard.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Reviewing top 5 baseball bats in the category
Note that that build and height of your child are important factors you must consider before selecting a bat, but below are some of our favorites:
- Easton S500 Youth Baseball Bat YB16S500 2 1/4″ Diameter (29″/16 OZ Easton is one brand that just can’t baseball bats wrong. This one is made from 7050 aircraft alloy, which ensures fast swing speed, while the 29/32″ handle is super thin, making it easier for smaller hands to handle. If you don’t want to spend a ton on that first bat, this bat is worth considering.
- Marucci HYPERLINK Maple Baseball Bat. If you want that classic wooden baseball bat for your little champ, this one from Marucci is pretty much ideal. Made from quality maple with a large barrel and tapered handle, this bat is a great investment that offers a longevity that will withstand many seasons and rough treatment from tween players. The product is Big League-grade Ink Dot certified and comes with a 30-day warranty.
- Combat 2018 MAXUM -11 Senior League Baseball Bat (SL8MX211). Combat brings you this amazing baseball bat that comes with a 2 ¾-Inch barrel diameter with around 40% larger hitting surface compared to other competitors. This one is particulary awesome for newer players of the game because of its versatility and larger barrel.
- Rawlings 2018 5150 USA Baseball Bat. If you are looking for a budget buy, Rawlings baseball bats should meet your expectations. This metal bat is known for both balance and pop and features p0p 2.0 technology that offers a bigger sweet spot. As for construction, it is made from Aircraft-grade 5150 alloy and is approved for the new 2018 standards in all baseball leagues.
- DeMarini HYPERLINK Balanced USA Baseball Bat. DeMarini brings you this alloy baseball bat that’s ideal for young players and designed for even weight distribution. The handle ensures great control of weight and feel, while the length to weight ratio is -10 with barrel diameter 2 5/8-inch.
Making that ultimate selection
As mentioned earlier, it helps to do some some initial homework and to find a bat that fits your childs size and experience level. Typically, a kid who weighs 95 pounds will need a bat that’s at least 21 to 22 ounces and a length of 31 inches with a drop 10 or a 32 inches with a drop 11. A 29-30-inch bat with drop 8 should also fit the bill. It is also important to know that the swing weight is not the same as scale weight. Longer bats are typically harder to swing so shorter bats may be a better fit for less experienced players.
Bottom line, here’s the the key specifications you should be looking for when selecting the that purveyer of home runs –
- Drop weight
A good bat for your little slugger is an investment so making the right selection and choosing a quality brand will set your child up for success and allow your kiddo to grow with the sport. Spending a little more the first time, considering the best fit for your child’s size and experirence level, will keep you froms pending more in the future. Now get out there and hit it out of the park!