Looks like you need the best drill bits for metal. Let’s get after it…
It goes without saying that you need the right tools when you are drilling into metal. Most buyers assume that they can get any drill bit as they want to work on various things, but for metals, you have to be careful, especially because the operation is usually done at a high speed. From ones that are made of steel and HSS to others have cobalt coating, there are a quite a few options in drill bits. You would want a product that would maintain the strength and shape as the machine drills into various kinds of metals and alloys. While many aspects matter, in this post, we will discuss what it takes to select the best drill bits for metals.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Reviewing the top five options
Before we discuss more about selecting drill bits, here is a look at the five products that we liked and are just perfect to work with metals.
- DEWALT DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set. If you are just looking for a starter kit, this set from Dewalt that contains 14 pieces is more than enough. Each bit comes with titanium pilot point for extended life and starts on contact, so you have clean, precise holes with no issue with ‘walking’. As you can guess the titanium coating ensures that these drill bits are durable. Besides drilling into in non-ferrous metals easily, these drill bits are also ideal for drilling into wood and plastic, making these a great choice for diverse applications. Sizes range from 1/6 to 1/2-Inch, and you get a tough plastic case, as well.
- Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set. Neiko brings this step-drill, which offers 28 sizes, from 3/16″ to 3/4″. Made of high-speed steel, with titanium coating, these drill bits are designed to work on metals like stainless steel, copper and others, and yes, you can use these for plastic drilling to. The 135° split point tip of these bits are self-centering and will prevent walking, and with tri-flatted shank, these fit into power drills securely. The product works wonders for those looking for budget options.
- BLACK+DECKER 15-110 High Speed Steel General Purpose Drill Bit Set. This is a 10-piece basic set from Black+Decker, with sizes ranging from 1/16-Inch to 1/4-Inch. The handy bit bar ensures that you can keep this set in any bag or toolbox easily. The drill bits are high in quality and made of high-speed steel, which makes this ideal for working on metal, plastic, and wood.
- IRWIN Tools 3018004 Black Oxide Metal Index Drill Bit Set. Irwin is another brand that doesn’t get drill bits wrong, and this set contains 29 pieces that have oxide treatment to prevent both rusting and corrosion. The 135° split-point tip prevents walking and starts only on contact. You get a special rubber kit for storing the bits, which makes the set handy for using on the go. The sizes start from 1/16-inch, with 1/64-inch increments, all the way to 1/2-inch. If you are looking for a durable kit in the budget, this one fits the bill.
- Mastercraft Titanium Drill Bit Set for Metal. For professionals who want a complete set of bits for drilling into metal, this one from Mastercraft is a steal deal of sorts. This is a huge kit that contains 230 pieces, starting from 1/16″ up to 1/2″ bits, and these bits can be used for wood, metal, and plastic. The brand recommends not using these drill bits for concrete so bear that in mind. Made of HSS or high-speed steel, these are coated with titanium for maximum durability, and you get a heavy-duty storage case for keeping the bits organized.
What to look for in drill bits for metals?
- Start by the material and construction. For metal drilling, you need products that are made of high-speed steel and preferably have titanium or oxide coating.
- The brand. Drill bits from known brands are more durable and you can rely on these companies to make quality bits with no compromises on production.
- Other things to note. Check if the bits have a shank design, which makes this ideal for various chucks. Also, the best bits have 135° split-point tip, which prevents walking and ensures that metal drilling is done more effectively.
Check online and get one of these drill bits for metals.
Finding the best drill bits for metal can be tricky at times. There are tons and tons of options out there, which can be daunting at times. It’s totally understandable because there are thousands of different choices out there to make while trying to narrow down all those options to the five best ones that money can buy. Five options that are going to drill right through metal like butter every time, while also being an affordable option from a reputable brand that you can depend on for many years to come. That is the goal of power tool accessories, we need them to last! Nothing is more frustrating than being stoked about some brand new power tool accessories, only to have them break on us after pulling them out of the box to use them for the first time. Well, with Club ManDude, you can put all those worries behind you. We make sure to be meticulous and take the time to ensure we are bringing you only the best of the best options that are out there. And we believe we have done it! So take a look at the options we’ve put together, we are certain you are going to be able to find yourself a set of metal drill bits that you are going to love. And hey, if you happen to find an even better option out there that did not make our list, let us know! We always want to make sure that we are finding the options that are totally the best no matter how that information may come to us. So stay in touch!
When you take a look at the metal drill bit sets we’ve found, we are pretty certain you’re going to see some familiar names on the list. And we’re psyched for that! It was validating to find out that DeWalt, Neiko, and Black + Decker were going to make our list. They are three of the best tool manufacturers out there and they will not fail you. Treat these tools right and they will serve you for years to come. Irwin and Mastercraft are the same story too! We have managed to figure out the five options that are most likely the best ones money can buy, so it all boils down to the features and brand! Pick your option based on what serves you best. I know plenty of guys who will never buy anything other than DeWalt or Milwaukee, and that’s totally cool. When you find a tool manufacturer that you love more than all the others, bet your lucky stars they are going to have just about every tool option you can think of. So, once you find yourself some awesome drill bits to cut through metal, check out some of the other tools they have. We are certain you’re going to find even more goodies that you will grow to love. Get yourself the tool manufacturer you can love forever, no matter which one you end up liking the most!
When you compare the prices of these drill bit sets, you will also find that the best brands have comparable pricing! Finding a new set of metal drill bits does not have to break the bank, it doesn’t have to put a hole in your pocket, or cost an arm and a leg. A new set will be surprisingly affordable, leaving you with a new tool that will have you excited to use it every time you need to drill through some metal. So do some price comparing, see what each option has to offer, and figure out what option is going to give you the best bang for your buck. One set may be the perfect one for one of our guys while another option may be perfect for you. It is all about preference, there is no right or wrong.
And if you need some more info before you make your decision, we have got you covered there too! The great thing about living in the age of the internet is being able to quickly and easily take a look at what other people are saying about these options. You will not be disappointed if you head over to Amazon to check out some buyer verified reviews. What we always want to make sure we are doing when we recommend products is to give you options with a plethora of positive reviews, which, for these drill bit sets, is pretty easy. They are all amazing options with plenty of consumers who love them and are willing to take the time to review them and let us know what they love about them.
When it comes time to drill through some metal, we have got you covered. So take a look at these rad options and find yourself a new set!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which one is better – Titanium drill or cobalt drill?
It will ultimately depend on the kind of metal you plan to drill. When it comes to soft metals, like aluminum, you might want to go with titanium bits. However, the cobalt bits are preferable in the case of hard metals, such as cast iron.
2. How do I know if a drill bit I am buying is for metal?
When it comes to drilling bits for metal, they are distinguishable by the color black. They are typically made of titanium, cobalt, or tungsten carbide, which you should carefully investigate when buying a new one. Another way to distinguish the metal drill bits from the conventional ones will be to check if they have a wide-angled point towards the end.
3. Can I use my metal drill bits for wood?
The answer to this question will majorly depend on the type of drill you use and the wood type. Most metal drill bits will increase tear-out and splintering if used for wood. Although, titanium drill bits offer a finer finish in the case of wood application.