It goes without saying that you need the right tools when you are drilling into metal. Most buyers assume that they can get any drill bit as they want to work on various things, but for metals, you have to be careful, especially because the operation is usually done at a high speed. From ones that are made of steel and HSS to others have cobalt coating, there are a quite a few options in drill bits. You would want a product that would maintain the strength and shape as the machine drills into various kinds of metals and alloys. While many aspects matter, in this post, we will discuss what it takes to select the best drill bits for metals.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Reviewing the top five options
Before we discuss more about selecting drill bits, here is a look at the five products that we liked and are just perfect to work with metals.
- DEWALT DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set. If you are just looking for a starter kit, this set from Dewalt that contains 14 pieces is more than enough. Each bit comes with titanium pilot point for extended life and starts on contact, so you have clean, precise holes with no issue with ‘walking’. As you can guess the titanium coating ensures that these drill bits are durable. Besides drilling into in non-ferrous metals easily, these drill bits are also ideal for drilling into wood and plastic, making these a great choice for diverse applications. Sizes range from 1/6 to 1/2-Inch, and you get a tough plastic case, as well.
- Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set. Neiko brings this step-drill, which offers 28 sizes, from 3/16″ to 3/4″. Made of high-speed steel, with titanium coating, these drill bits are designed to work on metals like stainless steel, copper and others, and yes, you can use these for plastic drilling to. The 135° split point tip of these bits are self-centering and will prevent walking, and with tri-flatted shank, these fit into power drills securely. The product works wonders for those looking for budget options.
- BLACK+DECKER 15-110 High Speed Steel General Purpose Drill Bit Set. This is a 10-piece basic set from Black+Decker, with sizes ranging from 1/16-Inch to 1/4-Inch. The handy bit bar ensures that you can keep this set in any bag or toolbox easily. The drill bits are high in quality and made of high-speed steel, which makes this ideal for working on metal, plastic, and wood.
- IRWIN Tools 3018004 Black Oxide Metal Index Drill Bit Set. Irwin is another brand that doesn’t get drill bits wrong, and this set contains 29 pieces that have oxide treatment to prevent both rusting and corrosion. The 135° split-point tip prevents walking and starts only on contact. You get a special rubber kit for storing the bits, which makes the set handy for using on the go. The sizes start from 1/16-inch, with 1/64-inch increments, all the way to 1/2-inch. If you are looking for a durable kit in the budget, this one fits the bill.
- Mastercraft Titanium Drill Bit Set for Metal. For professionals who want a complete set of bits for drilling into metal, this one from Mastercraft is a steal deal of sorts. This is a huge kit that contains 230 pieces, starting from 1/16″ up to 1/2″ bits, and these bits can be used for wood, metal, and plastic. The brand recommends not using these drill bits for concrete so bear that in mind. Made of HSS or high-speed steel, these are coated with titanium for maximum durability, and you get a heavy-duty storage case for keeping the bits organized.
What to look for in drill bits for metals?
- Start by the material and construction. For metal drilling, you need products that are made of high-speed steel and preferably have titanium or oxide coating.
- The brand. Drill bits from known brands are more durable and you can rely on these companies to make quality bits with no compromises on production.
- Other things to note. Check if the bits have a shank design, which makes this ideal for various chucks. Also, the best bits have 135° split-point tip, which prevents walking and ensures that metal drilling is done more effectively.
Check online and get one of these drill bits for metals.