If you are a foodie, having a smoker at home is an absolute must. Smoking is traditionally about preserving meats, but today, it’s all about inducing flavors in food. For the uninitiated, there is a difference between a smoker and a grill. Smokers are designed for slow cooking, while, in the case of grilling, the food is usually pretty close to the heat source. When you want to cook fast and at high heat, you need a grill, but a smoker uses low heat to slow cook the food. With that said, check the list of best smokers for beginners!
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Masterbuilt 20070910 Black Electric Digital Smoker
The top five on the list is here!
- Masterbuilt 20070910 Black Electric Digital Smoker. Cooking space of this product is 730 sq. inches and you get four racks that are chrome-coated. There is a timer that offers complete control, making this a good choice for beginners in particular. The product has a variant that comes with a window, as well.
- Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill. This is a diverse product that allows you to roast, grill and smoke and uses TRU-Infrared technology. The product has a cooking area of 180 square inches, making it ideal for home use. Maximum BTU: 18,000. By the way, this one runs on propane.
- Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 14-Inch Charcoal Smoker. It comes with the water pan that ensures that the meats stay tender. Runs on charcoal, and you can add fuel easily to the smoker via the aluminum fuel door that’s rust resistant. Grill cover is included in the package. This product is best suited for minimal cooking.
- Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Smoker. If you are looking for a pellet smoker, this one is an ideal choice. It uses Fan-forced convection cooking and ensures precise temperature control. The cooking area is also decent at 450 Square inches, and it comes with a foldable shelf. Easy to manage and clean, the product also boasts of incredible warranty of three years.
- Smoke Hollow 26142E 26-Inch Electric Smoker. For those looking for an electric smoker, this product from Smoke Hollow is a good choice. With adjustable temperature control, you get two cooking grids that are chrome plated and can be adjusted for height. The water pan is included in the package. We recommend this product for homeowners who are just starting with smokers.
Types of smokers at a glance
While we have listed the best smokers above, here’s a take on the various options.
- Charcoal Smokers. This kind of smokeris made of wood and offers the incredible smoky flavor that we all look for. However, it may take a while to get used to it, and such smokers are not allowed in many apartments.
- Gas smokers. Such smokers work on natural gas or propane, making such smokers better and safer for use. If swift smoking is what you need, this is to go for. Gas smokers are easy to clean, use, and are compact and affordable.
- Pellet Smokers. Using pellets, Pellet Smokers make it easy to cook meats on a slow flame, and some of the best ones have digitized setup. Once the settings are set, you don’t have a lot to do. Besides being easy to use, you get a better range of temperatures, but yes, these are expensive.
- Electric Smokers. One of the best options out there, electric smokers are great for indoor use, don’t produce smoke, and are super easy for beginners. While favors are not as great as charcoal, these are still useful.
What else to consider?
Consider the type of the smoker and what you want to do with it before taking a call. Other things to check include the fuel type and build quality. You don’t want a smoker that’s too cumbersome to use. Electric ones are better for most homes but using outdoors can be confusing. Also, consider if you want the smoker to bake and grill, as well, because features can influence the price. Not to forget, the brand and warranty also matter.
It is a good idea to consider a smoker that comes with considerable brand support and is easy to use. Don’t forget to check the reviews online before you take the final call.