Looking for the Best probe thermometer for a smoker? Let’s Get After It…
Most people would agree when someone says that smoking and grilling is an art of sorts. Things can be messy, especially if you don’t focus on the basics. You might have the best smoker in the world, but you cannot make great steaks unless you are extremely precise about temperature control. Today, grills and smokers do have built-in thermometers, but those are hardly enough. In this post, we will talk about finding the best probe thermometer for asmoker.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
ThermoPro TP-16 BBQ Grill Thermometer
Reviewing the top 5 options
When it comes to probe thermometers, there are literally dozens of choices. We got our hands on five products and here’s an overview of what you can expect from each.
- ThermoPro TP-16 BBQ Grill Thermometer. No matter the variant, ThermoPro is known for making some amazing meat thermometers for grilling and smoking and this one is especially great for smokers. You get the 3-year extended warranty, a timer mode, and settings for different meat. While they do have wireless variants, this one is an affordable choice for starters that’s also easy to use.
- NutriChef PWIRBBQ80 Smart Bluetooth BBQ Grill Thermometer. If you don’t mind spending a tad more, this dual-probe Bluetooth thermometer from NutriChef is a good buy with 200-feet wireless range outdoors. While two high-quality probes are included, you can add as many as six! The product has a backlit LCD display and alert systems, making it an investment for grilling.
- Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe Thermometer. Not the cheapest choice, but this thermometer from Maverick is a steal for functionality. You get a large backlit screen, along with 15 preset temperatures, 300-feet outdoor range, alert system, and quality wires. We tried using this across smokers and found 3 feet long probe wires extremely handy.
- Migvela Digital Bluetooth Meat Thermometer. This product comes with an app, which makes cooking easier. The outdoor range for this Migvelathermometer is around 200-feet and you can use as many as six probes. There’s also an alert function, and you can see everything on the app that’s compatible for iOS and Android alike. If you would want a feature-oriented thermometer, we recommend this one.
- Morpilot Bluetooth Meat Thermometer. Coming from Morpilot, this is also a budget buy that has four probes, allowing you to keep a tab on four different foods. There’s also an app for this thermometer, which allows easy monitoring from a distance. The company offers replacements for probes, but we don’t think you will need that. You can easily adjust meat mode and taste mode, which comes in handy for smokers.
Tips for selecting the best probe thermometer for the smoker
A lot of new chefs and users wonder if they should use a probe thermometer in the first place for smoking and grilling. Every meat has its own flavor, and if not cooked to perfection, there are considerable health risks. Using a probe thermometer is the best way to ensure that. Yes, these thermometers are extremely useful tools, but most users, including someone who has never tried a smoker, can effectively make the most of it. Here are some tips for choosing one –
- Focus on the basics. Do you want a wireless/Bluetooth probe thermometer or a regular one? While this might be a matter of choice and budget, opting for the former is much more convenient, especially if you don’t want to be around while using the smoker. With apps, probe thermometers are more user-friendly than ever.
- Brand, warranty and more. In case of probe thermometers, it’s best to choose a product that has quality probes and brand warranty. Some brands are better than others, and you will have no troubles with repairs and a replacement if required at all.
- Almost all meat probe thermometers have an alert system in place, and you can expect to get quality probes that are meant to withstand temperature. It is necessary to check if the product comes with preset temperatures because that makes smoking and grilling so much easier. Also, some products allow you to use more than two probes (like the ones we mentioned above), which is a big advantage.
Check online and make sure that you know of the product features and other aspects before actually selecting a probe thermometer, because it won’t be replacing it anytime soon.