If you are brewing beer at home, honey is a great way to take things to the next level. In fact, the best holiday beers include honey, because it increases the alcoholic content and sweetness of the beer, although it ferments completely, so there is little effect on sweetness. Nevertheless, honey is often a great inclusion for brewing beer at home or for special occasions, and if you are wondering how to choose the best honey for brewing beer, we have a guide below for help.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Reviewing our top five product choices
Before we go ahead and talk more on how to select honey for brewing beer, let’s first review some of the products we liked. In case you are to brewing beer at home, these products will certainly help in shopping better for the right start.
- Brewer’s Best Pure Wildflower Honey. This 2-lb jar from Strange Brew is pure wildflower honey that’s ideal for brewing the best beer at home. The company recommends the product for meads and beers. The product comes nicely packaged and has a flip top lid, so you can easily pour the quantity you need. Among the best honey items in the market!
- Brewer’s Best Home Brew Beer Ingredient Kit-5 gallon (Peanut Butter Brown). This is a five-gallon kit for anyone who wants to make beer at home. It comes with all the ingredients needed, and yes, you have a guide that tells you how to get the beer right. If you want, you can include the honey variant. This product is manufactured in the United States and has an extended shelf life. Ideal for people who want to have beer ready at home to enjoy on the weekends.
- Brewer’s Best Home Brew Beer Ingredient Kit-5 gallon (Blueberry Honey Ale).If Blueberry taste is your thing, this product from Brewer’s Best will allow making beers with a low alcoholic strength. The thick, white head beer is worth enjoying with the aroma of blueberries. The kit comes with everything you need, such as malt extract syrup, specialty grains, priming sugar bottle caps, hops, yeast, spices & flavorings, and a grain bag. Also, the instruction manual is pretty easy to understand, making this kit a good choice for starters.
- Brewer’s Best Honey Brown Ale. Brewer’s Best makes some of the best brewing kits, and this Honey Brown Aleis great for starters and those who prefer a malty sweet profile in beers. You get everything for making the beer – malt extract syrup, specialty grains, priming sugar bottle caps, hops, yeast, spices & flavorings and a grain bag. And yes, this product comes with instructions, as well. The product is made exclusively in the US.
How to choose the best honey for brewing beer?
In general, raw unfiltered honey is recommended for brewing beer, because it contains all the essential compounds, vitamins, and nutrients. Yes, filtered honey is often cheaper, but it doesn’t have the goodness of the raw variant. The quality of honey is something you need to check for, and since you are brewing specialty beer that doesn’t taste anything like the market variants, go for a good honey. Did you know that the color, flavor and taste of honey is determined by region from where it has been sourced? Here are some more tips that may come help.
- Find more on the honey varieties, and trust us when we say that there are quite a few choices. Wildflower honey that has not been filtered is your best bet by all means, and yes, you have to consider how the honey has been sourced.
- Honey that is dark, raw and unfiltered will have better flavor and aroma, and that’s what you should be looking for. Also, wildflower honey comes from a variety of flowers, which make it one of the better and probably among the most nutrient-rich options in the market.
- Finally, do consider the brand and price of the honey you choose. Yes, it can be expensive, and when you want the beer to taste its best, opt for the highest quality you can find.
We hope that you found the post helpful, and to know more on how you can brew beer at home with honey like a pro, check online for guides.