Looking for the Best Hair Gel For Spikes? Let’s Get After It…
When we talk about hair styling products, there’s a range of choices and and not every product is created equal and meant to achieve the same style. Hair gel is probably one of the most versatile on the list. From providing shape and volume without the frizz to holding those pointy spikes, it’s one of the few that can really do everything. In fact, in many ways, hair gel is a niche category of its own, and there are specific products that can achieve that well formed spike that lasts and doesn’t have your hair falling flat by the end of the day. Here are some of the products that we love and will have you looking your raddest all day long:
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Best products to help you live your best spiked-hair life:
- Cool Spikes STIFF GEL MEGA HOLD Styling GEL. As the name pretty much suggests, this is a mega-hold gel that works wonders on all kinds of hair. This doesn’t contain any alcohol and is designed with non-flaking in mind. We tried the product on different types of hair and found that the stiff gel holds easily and has staypower for all hair types. This is a very thick gel, designed for the hairstyle enthusiasts. This is a twin pack with each bottle containing 32 OZ each, so more bang for your buck.
- Taft Spike Styling Gel. This product from Taft is designed for extreme spikes on the go. The gel provides for a maximum hold, and your spikes will remain in place in the most extreme weather conditions. It comes from the much-trusted house of Schwarzkopf Professional, which never really gets its hair care products wrong. This product is regularly used in salons by professional stylists so you know it’s good.
- AXE Spiked Up Look Hair Gel. Axe is one brand that’s always coming up with great new products for men. This product, as the name indicates, is designed for extreme hold that add a little of that clean, gel sheen look that we love so much. It works wonders for all different hair types, and we found that you don’t really need a lot of product to get those spikes right, which is always a good thing. The spikes achieved by this product also had some real stay power in all conditions so this is another quality product that is good for a budget.
- Jovinn Natural Premium Hair Styling Pomade/Hair Wax. If you want to try something different than the standard gels while also channeling some mega masculine, old timey cowboy vibes, we highly recommend this pomade from Jovinno. It’s made from the best natural ingredients sourced from France and contains no harsh chemicals. This is designed for medium to stronghold and is often used in salons to achieve maximum hold without making hair oiley.
- 4RootZ Black Colored Hair Gel. This gel from 4RootZ is unique in many ways. It is designed to cover gray hair roots, and you can style your hair at the same time. Think of this as a black-hair gel that will hold your spikes in place. The product is not the best for extreme spikes, but we found it extremely useful for medium hold styling. It is a non-flaking product that doesn’t damage your hair because it doesn’t contain harsh chemicals and alcohol.
Selecting the best hair gel for spikes:
- First and foremost, make sure that the product is designed for medium to maximum hold. Some brands have a rating from 1 to 5, where 5 refers to maximum hold. Some of the medium hold gels can fit the bill as well depending on the specific look you’re trying to achieve.
- Secondly, check what the product contains. Cheap gels contain unpleasant scents, alcohol, or harsh chemicals that can harm your hair, particularly over the long term. Go for natural ingredients if possible.
- Consider the brand. Go for a known, reliable brand for hair gels vice takingy your chances on cheap roducts that can create a crunchy mess on your head or have your spikes falling flat by the end of the evening.
- More bang for your buck. Product price obviously matters, but we still recommend going for a product that’s known, even if that means paying a tad more. Also, the nicer gels tend to require less product to achieve your desired look so become more economical in the long term.
- Stay power. How long can the product hold the spikes in place? Some products offer great styles but more often than not, the spikes don’t last long. You want something that can hold your hair in place for at least six to eight hours.
And be sure to pay close attention to our five special tips above! They are going to set you up right so you can pick the perfect product to create those rad spikes you’ve always loved. One product may be the best for one guy, but a different one may be the best for another. So, just pay close attention and be sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck. The good news is that hair products aren’t typically going to break the bank, so try out a couple and see what you find! Club ManDude wants you to have the best spikes you can have, so we are here to give you the best guidance to accomplish just that. We’re guys and we completely understand, too.
And now for some final thoughts on the subject
Well there you have it, gents, we did the research and now you have the information you need to make an informed decision on hair gel that will not only style and hold your hair the way you want, but will nourish and protect your hair long the long term.
Choosing a hair gel does not have to be difficult, and the above criteria and suggested products will help you achieve that optimal spike you’ve been dreaming of. Having spiked hair is a unique look that always turns heads depending on how extreme the spikes are. So, we want to help you achieve the perfect spiked hair that turns heads for the right reasons. Wear the look with confidence and take on the world, it’s your oyster.
And hey, if we haven’t given you enough details to make your decision, we have got you covered. Each of the reviewed products above comes with a special link you can simply click and head right over to Amazon. There you will find every detail about each product so you know exactly what you’re getting. And of course you get to see verified buyer reviews, too. See what other dudes (and perhaps a few ladies) are saying about these hair products before you buy them. You also get to check out the price tags and shipping details so you know exactly when you get to create those new and improved spikes. And if you find something better out there that we haven’t mentioned, let us know! We’d love to hear from you, my dude.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q) Can hair gel keep the spikes on all day?
A) Spikes is a hairstyle that can easily get damaged upon little impact. However, if you use one of the best extra-strong gels, you can wear spikes all day long without worries. These special gels have unique ingredients that hold your hair in place for several hours after application.
Q) How much hair gel should I apply for spikes?
A) You need only a pea-sized amount of hair gel if you use the best-quality hair gels for spikes. Take the hair gel on your fingers and rub it in your hands to warm it up. Now you can apply the hair gel to your hair and style it the way you want. If you have long hair, take a few more drops of hair gel for application.
Q) Will hair gel damage my hair?
A) If you buy good-quality branded hair gels, your hair will not get damaged. These hair gels have special hair strengthening ingredients that will support your hair health. However, make sure that you do not leave the hair gel on for more than 24 hours.