Now more than ever, men take pride in their hygiene. Gone are the days when conversations about skin care regimens and new hairstyles were seen as less than manly. Because of this, there has been an explosion in the number of grooming brands for men to choose from. This includes the growing selection of one essential item: hair gel. Choosing the right hair gel may be more complicated than you realize, which is why we’re here to answer the question: What is the best hair gel for men?
Obviously, there’s more than one right answer – which is why we’ve included 5 questions you should ask yourself before investing in a hair gel. We’ve also broken down a few options to help you find the right match.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Reviewing the top five products
- Kaf Grooming Men’s Premium Pomade Hair Gel. From side parts to mohawks and back styles, you can do everything with this product that also doubles up as a pomade. We love Kaf Grooming because their products are always 100% natural and don’t contain any of those harsh chemicals or alcohol. Besides being a styling product, this gel will strengthen and thicken your hair and encourage hair growth. There is no white-residue with this product, and it’s pretty easy to use and wash off.
- Toni And Guy Men Styling Wax Stick. This is a 3-pack set from Toni And Guy – A brand that’s internationally known for its haircare and hair styling products. This is more of a wax stick but works like a gel and offers a classic finish and medium hold. You just need to take some product on your hand and warm it up before using on dry hair. If you are someone who loves big brands, we recommend this set to you, which should last a long time.
- Suavecito Duo Bundle. Original Hold (4 oz) and Matte Pomade (4 oz). If you wanted a set that would offer both matte and shiny look, this set from Suavecito should suffice. The matte pomade lasts all day and is ideal for everyday use because of the matte finish it provides. The Original-Hold pomade is a classic pick from the brand that offers s medium hold and has that amazing masculine scent. Both the pomades have a creamy consistency, so styling is a lot easier compared to gels.
- ballsBALM Bare Balm – Body Hair Management Cream. In this list, we also wanted to include a cream that works for body hair, especially because many metrosexual men want to tame their hair areas. The product is basically meant for hair removal and is safe and super easy to use all over the body as required. You can try another product from the company – Calm Balm, after using this one to soothe the skin further.
- Woody’s Grooming Hair Styling Cream. If you have wavy or curly hair, this product from Woody’s is a good choice. It works wondrously on taming frizz and all kinds of mane and holds the look together for the entire day. A little goes a long way, and you can use the comb or work with your fingers to get the hold. Woody’s is known for using the best ingredients in their products, and their collections are targeted towards men who want easy styling.
How to choose a hair gel for men?
- Consider your hair type. Especially if you have curly or wavy hair, you need a hairstyle that works well for your kind of hair.
- Think of hold. For daily use, any easy hold hair gel should work, but when you want the hairstyle to last for at least a few hours, consider something with a medium to stronghold.
- Read the ingredients. Many hair gels and styling products contain a lot of chemicals that can damage your hair, so go for natural, organic and chemical-free products when possible.
- A good brand matters. You want to check if the brand is a known one because some are obviously better than others.
- Think of the formula. Some are gels, some are waxes, and others are pomades. They all do the same job, but some people are just more comfortable with certain kinds of products.
You know your hair better than anyone, including the styles that work…and those that don’t. Hair gel is a classic part of the grooming toolkit, but finding the right one isn’t easy. Keep these questions – and brand suggestions – in mind to find the gel that makes you sleek, slick, and confident.