When it comes to woodwork, drill presses are a must-have. While floor-standing models are often preferred for heavy-duty work, you can also consider a benchtop drill press, which costs a lot less and works as efficiently as full-size presses, if not more. For those who are looking for the best benchtop drill press, we have a guide that will make things simpler along with five products that can be considered for varied budgets.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Workstation Drill Press Work Station with Wrench
Reviewing benchtop drill presses
Below is a quick overview of the drill presses that we liked, based on features and other facts that matter.
- Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Workstation Drill Press Work Station. If you are looking for a compact model, this product from Dremel should fit the bill. It’s easy to get angled and perpendicular drills with 15-degree Increments, reaching up to 90 degrees horizontal. It comes with a tool holder and a flex shaft tool stand, which allows you to adjust the height easily. You also have cord management clips with the package. The product is compatible with a bunch of rotary tool models from the manufacturer, which is a big plus.
- WEN 4212 10-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press. This product from Wen is slightly more expensive than the one we mentioned but is meant for extensive woodwork. You get an adjustable depth-stop that simplifies repetitive tasks, while the cast iron worktable comes with a rack and allows pinion height adjustment. You can get angled drilling 45 degrees on both left and right sides. You can get better with drilling with a laser target that offers an X-pattern mark. The whole package includes the drill press meant for variable speed, key, laser, ½-inch keyed chuck, and assembly tools.
- HICO Bench Top Drill Press. HICO brings this 8-inch adjustable height drill press, which comes with a 5-speed motor. The product package includes the drill press, chuck key, assembly tools, and ½-inch key chuck. The speed setting range is between 760 and 3070 RPM for the 2/5HP induction motor, which allows the user to work with diverse materials and thickness needs. The cast iron worktable can be adjusted for height. All in all, this is one of the best budget products we found in this category.
- Genesis GDP1005A 10″ 5-Speed 4.1 Amp Drill Press. This is a budget drill press from that runs on a 1-amp induction motor for easy and quiet performance. The drill press has 5 variable speeds, and the chuck measures 5/8-inch making it easier to work with larger bits. The rack-and-pinion table can rotate 360° and can tilt up to 45° and is meat for easy height adjustment. This product comes with a work light that’s integrated to make work even easier.
- General International 75-010 M1 Bench-Top Drill Press. This green-colored 12-inch drill press from General International is on the expensive side but is designed for extreme performance. You get a forced opening line interrupter switch in this product and adjustable spindle tension return spring. The built-in laser pointer ensures precision drilling. We found this product among the most durable ones, with the base and head made of cast-iron, as is the table.
Buying the best benchtop drill press
Below are the things you need to check.
- The table. Every bench press needs to have a good work table, which should have enough space to get the work done and must tilt, at least up to 45 degrees, if not more.
- Speed settings. Go for a bench drill press that has variable speed settings, so that you can use it to do diverse work purposes.
- Motor power and torque. Benchtop drill presses need to have a powerful motor, which should generate enough torque. Do not compromise on this aspect. The power basically decides how effectively and fast the product can drill into wood. In general, more torque usually means more speed, but having at least five settings is important.
- Other things. Check the warranty on the product and the brand, which are aspects that must be considered. It is also important to check if the product has a safety switch for emergencies. A laser guide is also an essential feature for precise work.
- The price is a matter of budget, but ideally, go for a reliable product that offers enough features to get work done professionally.
Check online for options now!