For the longest time, the hand auger was a simple tool that ice fishermen relied on for their regular work. However, it comes off as a much better tool when used with a cordless drill. Cordless drills that use auger are considerably cheaper than some of the electric augers. In fact, not many fishermen are fond of electric augers, simply because these are expensive and are only used sparingly as and when required for a limited number of days. If you want to find the best cordless drill for ice auger, we have a guide for help below.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Bosch 18-Volt Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit
Reviewing the top five products
Before we look into the aspects that matter, here are five products that we liked.
- Bosch 18-Volt Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit. Bosch is one brand that gets drills right, and this one is a compact, cordless 18-Volt power product, which works wonders for most needs, including tight spaces. It’s great for power drilling and offers 350-pound of optimized torque for effective work. The package includes a contractor bag, which makes this a mobile drill to carry around. You also get 2 speed transmissions for effective control, optimized torque and efficiency.
- Eskimo Gas & Propane Ice Augers. This product from Eskimo runs on propane and features a 10-inch diameter auger that has a length of 42-inches. It runs on a 40cc 4-cycle engine, which offers high compression and you can use the product with a 1 lb. Propane cylinder that can fit in the bottle holder. The best highlight, however, is the ‘auto-prime fuel system’, which allows to start drilling immediately.
- Trophy Strike 106475 Ice Auger. While this is not a corded drill, this is a complete product in itself from Trophy Strike. This is a gas-powered ice auger, which runs on a 2-cycle 52cc gas engine and works on the thickest ice with ease. It has an 8-inch cutting diameter, with cutting depth of 31.5-inch. You have a glove-friendly throttle, which means working in tough weather is easy with this product, while consistent performance is assured with direct drive transmission.
- Makita XFD061 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 1/2″ Driver-Drill Kit. This product from Makita comes with a 2-speed transmission for easy drilling work and the Brushless motor offers 530 lbs. of maximum torque. By eliminating carbon brushes, BL Brushless motor runs smoothly and is meant to be durable in the long run. If you want a more effective cordless drill that works for ice augers, this is the one to go for in the budget.
- Hitachi DS18DBFL2 18V Cordless Lithium Ion Brushless Driver Drill. This product from Hitachiincludes two 1.5Ah Batteries and features an 18V Brushless Motor, which ensures durability. You get 620 in/lbs of turning torque, which is great with up to 1800 RPM. The batteries are lighter than NiCd batteries, and there are 22 torque settings, which allow complete control of the drilling process, especially while working on the ice. You get a built-in led light, as well, for working in dark spaces, although that might be a necessity for ice fishing.
More on using a drill for ice auger
To use the ice auger with the drill, you will need what’s called the adapter, which allows you to connect the two products. Most of the adapters are rather simple and easy to use. Secondly, if you are buying an independent cordless drill, go for the model that has higher torque, which means more drilling power. The batteries also matter because you would want enough time to work with the auger. Also, you will have to choose between drills that use a regular motor or a brushless one. The latter is known to adjust itself according to the task being done, which makes these drills ideal for a lot of jobs.
Don’t forget to look for drills that come from good brands, because the warranty and service on the product will be ideal in the long run. As always, read the product reviews and check what the drill can do in terms of power before taking the call. Alternatively, you can also go for Ice Augers that run on gas and propane, and we have included two products above for your choice.
Do the homework right, compare the right choices and select a drill that makes using the Ice Auger an easy job