Looking for the Best Inexpensive Drill Press ? Let’s Get After It…
Anyone who works with wood needs to have a drill press, and there are quite a few choices in the market. There are basically two kinds of drill presses available – bench type and floor type, and both have a few pros and cons. The bench type drill press is basically used on a table or bench and is great for drilling smaller holes. If you need something more powerful, floor type drill presses are much better and can drill bigger, larger and deeper holes. Enough for the initial jibber jabber, let’s get into the guide for finding the best inexpensive drill press.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
WEN 4210 Drill Press with Laser
Reviewing the best choices
In this post, we have included five bench-style drills presses that have great features and offer real value for money.
- WEN 4210 Drill Press with Laser. If you are looking for a budget drill press, this product from WEN is an ideal buy under $150. The product has a different variant that doesn’t include the laser, but this one comes with a class II 1mW laser. All the necessary tools for assembly are included, and you can adjust between five speeds, ranging from 600 to 3100 RPM. We found this Wen product to be durable both in terms of power and torque. The product weighs 51 pounds and comes with two AA batteries included.
- Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Workstation Drill Press. This product from Dremel is an ideal workstation and comes with a wrench. The product has a tool holder that’s very effective for holding tools at 90 degrees, while theflex shaft tool stand allows easy adjustment of height, with a range from 16-inch to 29-inch. The product also comes with cord management clips and is compatible with a bunch of Dremel Rotary Tool models. Priced below $100, this is another standard drill press for most budgets.
- SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press. Priced right under $150, this is one of the best-selling power magnetic drill presses in the market. This Skil product comes with a bump-off switch for safety, and you get to adjust between five speeds, ranging from 570 to 3,050 RPM. The depth stop is adjustable for accurate and repetitive work. It relies on a 2-beam laser for alignment of the hole. SKIL is one of the better brands for drill presses, and this product is particularly likeable.
- HICO Bench Top Drill Press. Priced under $99, this is a steal budget drill press from Hico that comes with ½-inch keyed chuck, chuck key and tools for assembly along with the drill press. You have five-speed settings, ranging from 760 RPM to 3070 RPM, which helps in working on varied kinds of materials with diverse thickness. The torque and power of the press is assured with a 2/5HP induction motor. The worktable is made of cast iron, measures 6-1/2 x 6-1/2-inch and can be adjusted for height.
- Genesis GDP805P 8 In. 5-Speed 2.6 Amp Drill Press. This drill press from Genesis comes with a ½-inch chuck & tilt table. It features a 2.6-amp induction motor, which ensures a smooth and easy performance without noise, and you have the choice of five different speeds. The product can drill to the center for 8-inch material. The worktable can tilt up 45°. For the price of less than $100, this is a perfect steal.
How to buy an inexpensive drill press?
To find the best inexpensive drill press, start by looking for a few basic things, like –
- The brand. It should be a known brand that offers quality products, especially clamps for bench type drill press.
- The base. The accuracy depends largely on the base, so you want to be sure that it’s absolutely flat.
- The stopper. The product should have a stopper so that the user doesn’t end up drilling too deep.
- Speeds available. Variable speed settings up to 5 are extremely desirable, even for the budget drill presses.
- The size. The size of the drill press must be enough for you work and handle your wood easily. Products that have a wider throat depth are better at handling larger wood sizes.
With all those aspects in mind, check the products we have mentioned and pick one. For a good drill press, it is wise to pay the right price, so that quality of work is not compromised