When it comes to football, people love it for so many reasons – the competition, the strategy, the glory, the grit, the awesomeuniforms and pads – you name it. What’s not to like, right? For most folks, the only thing not to like is the potential for injury while playing. And one of the more dangerous football injuries is the concussion. The National Football League has come under much scrutiny in recent years due to this very danger. The NFL actually implemented changes in rules on the field, and created the ubiquitous “helmet to helmet” flag.
But the NFL is only part of the picture. Here in the US, youth football is about as germane to our national identity as ballpark franks and country music. Many of us have our kids (at least our boys) in helmets out there on the field by the time they’re in 4th or 5th grade. And the risks and injury potential of the game are still there – albeit considerably lower when you’ve got 10 year olds running around out there who probably weigh 60 lbs soaking wet, on average. Be that as it may, the risks are still there, so it makes perfect sense to address those risks as early as possible.
One of the most important ways to minimize risk of concussionin footballis the helmet. The right helmet is one that fits well, not too loose, not too tight, and has the various components in place to ensure players’ safety. Luckily, contemporary football helmets are much more equipped to handle the rigors of the game without compromising their structure or purpose. Long gone are the days of the leather helmets that we used to think were sufficient to protect players’ heads from concussion. Nowadays there are rigorous standards in place to ensure every kid on the field is protected as much as possible from head injury during the game.
So it follows that, as parents, you will want to find the best youth football helmet to prevent concussions. So, let’s jump right in, shall we?
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Reviewing top youth football helmets
Here are the top youth football helmets market has to offer.
- Riddell Victor Youth Helmet. The design is reliable and comfortable to wear. Properly padded from the inside and concussion-proof, this helmet has the ability to protect a youth player. The helmet is available in white as well as gray colors.
- Schutt Sports Vengeance A3 Youth Football Helmet. The helmet has a lower profile in terms of shell design. This design pattern reduces the weight of the helmet. Hence, wearing it becomes easier for a player. The liners are comfortable and contain an outer skin of TPU to improve the cushion-like feel of wearing it. The helmet doesn’t come with a facemask, but you can get one attached to it. Multiple sizes are available between 2x-small to x-large.
- Schutt Sports Youth AiR Standard V Football Helmet. This one comes with a faceguard with the shell construction using the material ABS plastic. EVA and EPP foam liner system protects the head and provides comfort. The soft chin strap is attached with plastic buckles and a soft cup. At the same time, the helmet aligns with all NOCSAE standards.
- SpeedFlex Youth Helmet. Attractive, authentic and reliable against concussion. This model comes with the looks and elements you desire in a helmet. The material used in the shell and the padding provides the best quality of comfort and protection. The helmet has a faceguard along with chin straps and cushioned chin cup.
- Schutt Sports Youth AiR Helmet. Another model from the brand Schutt, this helmet offers a traditional design with all the great elements such as ABS plastic construction, Air Maxx property in TPU jaw pads, liner system made from EVA and EPP foam. All these properties make this helmet a perfect choice to perform in a game without worrying about concussions.
How to choose the best youth football helmet to prevent concussions?
You have seen the top brands and helmet models available. Now, here is how to choose the best option for youth football.
- NOCSAE seal. The helmet is supposed to protect and prevent concussions. The assurance of this comes with the seal of NOCSAE on the helmet. So, you should check for that. This should be your primary concern. After this, you can think about the price or the appeal. NOCSAE is a list of standards provided for high-quality football helmets for youth as well as professional football.
- Head circumference. The size of the helmet has to fit the players perfectly. There are different sizes available for children as well. Measuring the size of the child’s head is important to compare it with the sizes available in the collection of helmets. Also, pick a smaller size instead of going for a larger one.
- Fit of the helmet. Apart from the head circumference, you should also check the fit of the helmet. The overall size should comfortably cover the head of the wearer. It should be a bit tight, but not uncomfortable. Bikers also use a similar kind of fitting when it comes to helmets. For your child, you need to look for the youth helmet sizes and pick the best-suited one.
- Chin strap. With the face guard, there should be a padded, high-quality protective chin strap. This covers the whole jawline and offers special safety to the chin. Hence, it further improves the safety against injuries. A
Now, hopefully armed with the above reviewed products and buying tips, you can pick the best helmet for your child. Begin with the size and evaluate the features from there. We hope this post has been helpful to you! Let us know in the comments if so!