If you are a fan of punk hairstyles, then you most likely love mohawks. After all, they are a staple punk hairstyle! Despite all the changes in trends and styles, mohawks will always be the iconic punk hairstyle. Of course, to get the mohawk, you must first have the right haircut, but equally, if not more important is how you style the mohawk. There are two very basic products that you would need – a good hair gel, and an equally nice hair spray. The perfect hair gel is critical to having a great mohawk – in fact, it is actually more important! The hair gel allows you to sculpt the perfect mohawk style you are looking for, while the hair spray gives it a nice texture and look. In this post, we will share with you tips on how to choose your perfect hair gel, as well as share some of our absolute favorites for styling the perfect mohawk.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Reviewing the top five products
- Johnny B Xtra Hold Pomade. Technically, this is not hair gel but pomade, but we loved the way it worked on the hair for holding the mohawk in place. It offers medium to hard hold and allows you to style your hair as required. We found it particularly good for all kinds of hairs and cuts. It is also anti-humectant, which prevents frizz and the brand does offer a warranty on its use. One box should also last a long time.
- Man Arden Hair Cream. If you are not a fan of shiny finish hair gels, this product from Man Arden should fit the bill. The product offers soft hold but works wonderfully well for mohawks, and you can choose to blow-dry your hair too. Since this is a cream-based formula, it also protects your hair from damage and includes ingredients like Aloevera, Hibiscus, Bhringraj, Brahmi extracts. Works on all kinds of hair, and most importantly, this offers a matte look and repairs your dry and frizzy hair at the same time.
- Little Roseberry Hair Gel for Kids. If you are an enthusiastic parent who would like a mohawk on the little one, this hair gel is the product you need. It offers a light hold but works well for all kinds of hairstyles. It doesn’t include any chemicals and is made with organic Aloe Vera and vitamins. Little Roseberry is a reliable brand for kids, and all their products are paraben, sulfate, and fragrance free. This is a natural product and works well for mohawks without using any spray.
- Johnny B Super Hold Gel. Johnny B brings this amazing hair gel that offers an 8/10 hold, and we found it to be extremely useful for mohawks in particular, as the hold lasts all day long. This is a hydrating gel that doesn’t cause any flaking and offers considerable volume to the hair, making it ideal for fine and thin hair too. The brand also says that you can use the gel as a cutting lotion and offers a warranty on the product. A perfect tub to have in your stash. Also, the product doesn’t cause a very oily look, which is an advantage.
- Glop & Glam Banana Spike Molding Putty. This product from Glop & Glam is one of the unique ones we found for styling mohawks in particular. The putty, as the brand calls it, offers a completely dry and matte finish, so is ideal for those who are not looking for a shiny look. The product is completely free of alcohol, parabens, nuts and phthalates and works on all kinds of hair including wavy and curly hair.
How to choose the best hair gel for mohawks?
- Start by looking for a gel that offers at least medium hold, if not strong. If you want the mohawk to be in place all through the day, a strong-hold gel or pomade should work better.
- As always with any product, the ingredient list matters, and if possible, you may want to consider a product that doesn’t have any parabens, chemicals and alcohol.
- Check if the product would leave any residue and can be used on a regular basis. Also, you should be able to use hair spray as needed.
Last but not least, select a brand that you can rely on. Always check the brand’s reputation, since you will be using the gel on your precious hair, you want it to be as safe as possible.
Having the perfect hair gel for sculpting your mohawk, and truly capturing the punk hairstyle you are aiming for is the most important aspect of wearing this iconic hairstyle. Do not settle for a hair gel that will leave your mohawk looking limp after only a few hours. Take the information we have given you here today and use it to choose your perfect hair gel. After all, styling a mohawk may seem simple, but choosing the correct gel that not only holds the way you want, but also gives your hair that perfect texture will make all the difference throughout the day!