It goes without saying that glass is one of the tough materials to deal with, especially when it comes to drilling holes. Glass can break easily and quickly shatter even with little pressure. Finding the best drill bit for glass bottles can be a bit tricky because you cannot use one of the products that are designed to be used on wood, plastic, or metals. Drill bits for glass bottles are sold in a set of four or more, so you have to get a product that fits your work needs. No matter whether you are dealing with a DIY project with glass bottles or want something for professional use, this guide will come in handy.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
DrillGlass ½-inch Diamond Core Drill Bit For Glass and Tile
Reviewing the top four products
Before we get into the basics of selecting a drill bit for glass bottles, here’s a look at the four products that we liked.
- DrillGlass ½-inch Diamond Core Drill Bit For Glass and Tile. This DrillGlass product is a singular 1/2″ diamond core bit, which works perfectly for glass and tile. The company offers the 3rd product free if you order two, so this is a budget buy of sorts. The brand also offers 100% money back guarantee for the bit, and yes, you also get a 4-page drilling instruction guide with an extra guide for decorating ideas. This product is just ideal for all kinds of small DIY tasks.
- Vermont American 13310 4-Piece Glass & Tile Drill Bit Set. This is a budget drill bit set for glasswork enthusiasts, which also works perfectly for some of the other delicate materials, including marble, tile, and mirrors. The design of the bit has a spear-pointed tip, which prevents a breakout, and the tip is of carbide, so you can be assured of durability. The product (all the bits) can be used with drills with 3/8″ or larger chucks.
- DrillGlass 3 Pack of 1/4″ Diamond Core Drill Bits For Glass. This is another great product from DrillGlass, which includes three ¼-inch diamond core bits that are great for tiles and glass alike. The product fits most of the standard drill presses and hand drills. For DIY enthusiasts, the company offers a 4-page drilling instruction guide, and this set comes with a 100% money back guarantee. If you are looking for something better from the same brand, this one is a good choice.
- Uxcell 2 Pcs Diamond Drill Bits 14mm 5/9″ Bottle Glass Hole Saw. This product from Uxcell is a budget buy and includes two pieces. This is a glass hole saw that’s made of metal, which can be used for placing lights in glass bottles. The shank size measures 6.7 x 20mm/ 0.26-inch x 0.78-inch, and the product weighs 23 grams. If you are looking for glass hole saw that can work with drill presses, this is the one to go for.
Selecting the best drill bit for glass bottles
If you are looking for the best drill bit for glass bottles, there are basic things to consider-
- The material. You need the right drill bit material that can work on glass without cracking, and the two choices are tungsten carbide coated drill top or a diamond-coated one.
- The set. As mentioned earlier, drill bits for glass bottles come in a set, unless you check the first product we mentioned. Anyway, you are likely to save more with a ready set of four or ten, but it depends on the project requirements, as well.
- For generic needs, bits are usually listed in millimeters or inches. If you are getting a set, you can find ones that offer 1mm drill bit size to the ones that are bigger as1 ½-inch. It depends on the work you are doing and how frequently you want to use different sizes of drill bits.
- Keep in mind that not all drill bits work with all kinds of drilling tools, so that’s something you need to check for. There are universal drill bits too but check in advance before buying.
- The shape. Typically, drill bits are either spear-shaped or circular. As obvious, the circular drill bits are great for drilling circles/holes in the bottles, while the spear-shaped drill bits are great for design and working with specific materials.
Check online now and find the best drill bit that fits your requirements