Looking for the Best Inexpensive Torque Wrench? Let’s Get After It…
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
TEKTON 1/2″ Drive Click Torque Wrench
Reviewing top five budget-friendly torque wrenches
If you are buying your first torque wrench, you should know that the amount of pressure required for tightening or loosening a bolt needs to be right, and in automotive language, it’s mentioned in foot-pounds. For example, the simple wrenches have torque up to 150 foot-pounds, while some of the professional ones require much higher pressure (often 500 foot-pounds). To sum up things, make sure that you know the purpose of the torque wrench before looking for options. Here are the five products that we liked.
- TEKTON 1/2″ Drive Click Torque Wrench. TEKTON is one brand that makes the best click-style wrenches, and this product comes with a dual-range scale that enhances readability even in low light. The product is pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy, and we recommend this one for regular mechanical needs. You can also find other products from the same brand with different sizes and torque power, so check for that, as well.
- Craftsman 9-13919 25-250 ft lbs 1/2″ Drive Digi-Click Torque Wrench. Okay, this might not be the most inexpensive wrench out there, but Craftsman is known for its products, and we recommend this one for anyone looking for a digital torque wrench. The product comes with LED Backlit screen, so you can work in the dim garages, while the ergonomic design offers an incredible grip. The product is easy to adjust and can be just what most car owners need.
- URCERI 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench. URCERI brings this affordable torque wrench, which boasts all-steel construction without any plastic handles. The ratchet is made of vanadium steel alloy, and high-contrast dual-range scale ensures easy reading. This is a click-style torque wrench with ± 4% accuracy. For those who don’t want to spend a fortune, this quality wrench is worth a steal.
- Tacklife 1/2″ Drive Click Torque Wrench. This product comes with a 2.75-Inch Extension Bar in the package. With +/- 4% accuracy, the product passes DIN-ISO-6789 standards. With steel construction, the product also has black chrome coating that prevents rusting, while the dual-range scale makes it easy to read. Reversible ratchet head drives both clockwise and anti-clockwise.
- eTORK (C2100 3/8-Inch Drive Click Style Torque Wrench. This is one of the click-style wrenches that comes with lifetime personal use guarantee from the brand. Priced right, the wrench meets the ASME B107.300-2010 standards. This is accurate to +/- 3% in clockwise direction, which is better than some of the other options in this price range.
How to choose the best inexpensive torque wrench?
Besides the torque load that we just discussed, below are some of the other things that need attention-
- Don’t go for an extremely heavy torque wrench that’s hard to work with on a regular basis.
- Go for digital displays that are much better than the metered scale setting, but the latter is not prone to breaking, which is again worth remembering.
- Click-style torque wrenches produce a click sound when the required torque is reached, while some come with an alarm that beeps. Some of the expensive ones do have vibrating alarms, but you are unlikely to find these in the general budget category.
- Go for an all-metal product if possible, so that you don’t have to bother about plastic parts falling out.
- Brand and warranty. With torque wrenches, warranty is important, but if you are selecting one of the good brands, rest assured that the wrench will work fine for years even when the warranty is for just a year.
Finally, do check the reviews of the product and consider your job before getting a torque wrench. You can look online for ready sets.