Talk about easy to cook veggies, and you have zucchini and squash, which can be consumed in a number of ways. Most people prefer these two veggies sautéed or grilled because these don’t take a lot of time to get ready. If you are on a keto diet or just want to lose some weight, you can grill a few on the regular electric grill and serve them hot on the dinner table. In this post, we are going to talk about the best way to grill zucchini and squash.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Hamilton Beach (25361) Electric Indoor Grill
Buying the right grill
For cooking veggies, especially like zucchini and squash, you don’t need anything more than an electric grill. Before getting into the cooking process and how you can make awesome recipes, let’s take a look at the best five electric grills on a budget.
- Electric Indoor Grill Portable Smokeless Kitchen Non-Stick Cooking BBQ Griddle. With a big cooking surface, this is just the right grill for your home, especially for making veggies and BBQ-style foo. The product is portable, and if you want to go low on the fat, that’s possible, as well. The product comes with temperature control for better grilling.
- Hamilton Beach (25361) Electric Indoor Grill. Talk about countertop electric grills with a window, and you have this product that has all the right features, including temperature control. The cooking area measures 118 square inches, which can make about eight servings at a go and even more when you are cooking zucchini.
- Delonghi BG24 Perfecto Indoor Grill. The product comes with a tempered glass lid, so grilling veggies literally takes minutes. Also, the cooked food can stay warm for a considerable amount of time, and it has a drip tray that’s removable. With a non-stick grill plate, which means you don’t need a lot of oil.
- Power Smokeless Grill with Tempered Glass Lid. If you don’t mind spending a tad more on an electric grill, we recommend that you get this product that comes with a big cooking area. The Ceramic Grill Plate is extremely efficient and requires little fat for cooking. The product is technically the best smokeless grill we tested.
- Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler. When you want a product that works well for veggies and meat alike, we recommend this product that also doubles up as a panini press and full grill. The nonstick cooking plates are extremely great for low-oil cooking of zucchini, and you have adjustable temperature controls.
All you need to know about grilling zucchini and squash
If you have the right electric grill, half of your work is done. Grilling zucchini or squash doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, because you would want to go slow on the oil content and fats unless you are a no-carb high-fat diet. Start by cutting the zucchini and squash into slices. You can go for either round or long slices as you like. Next, use some sea salt to taste with some pepper. Place the seasoned zucchini and squash on aluminum foil on the grill plate and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on the top. The best part – You don’t need more than two minutes to get this done. Both these veggies must be cooked over medium heat (350 F), with one flip in between.
Additional tips to make zucchini and squash tastier
A lot of people prefer to replace olive oil with some butter, which certainly takes the taste to the next level. You can also consider adding in a bit of other seasonings instead of pepper. Since both zucchini and squash are not high on flavors, some extra seasoning always helps, and in this case, you can consider anything and everything from oregano to garlic powder. In case you want to try something different, you can cut both the veggies in cubes, throw in some cucumber and add some butter to make a nice mix right on the grill plate.
On the final note, zucchini and squash are considered to be weight-loss friendly food items, so we recommend that you cook it for the right amount of time and probably with an oil that’s healthier, such as olive oil or even coconut oil for that matter. As for the electric grill, you can select any of the five options.