Looks like you need the best way to grill a porterhouse steak. Let’s get after it…
Anyone who has tried the porterhouse steak would agree about its impeccable flavor and natural taste. For the uninitiated, it is same as the T-bone steak, except that porterhouse steak is a bit thicker and has considerably more of tenderloin. When you are ordering porterhouse at a restaurant, expect to get a big sized steak that promises to be a fulfilling meal in itself. In fact, most of the time, people end up sharing. It would be really nice to cook porterhouse at home, and in this post, we will try to discover the best way to grill porterhouse steaks.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
Char-Broil Classic 280 2-Burner Liquid Propane Gas Grill
Consider getting a good grill
When it comes to cooking steaks as big as porterhouse, you need the right grill, and it makes a big difference as to howsteaks taste. We start by listing the best grills for porterhouse steaks.
- Char-Broil Classic 280 2-Burner Liquid Propane Gas Grill. If you are looking for a propane-fueled grill, this is one to go for. One variant comes with a side burner, which is an advantage and the cooking area measures 280 square inches. Cook your porterhouse steaks outdoors like a pro.
- Cuisinart CGG-180 Petit Gourmet Portable Gas Grill with VersaStand. The grilling area of this one measures 160-square-inch and features a 5,500 BTU stainless-steel burner, which is ideal for steaks in particular. This is a portable grill, as the name suggests, and is fueled by gas.
- Camp Chef Flat Top Grill 600. If you want a big grill, this one with 500 square inches of the cooking area should work for regular use. The product comes with four 12,000 btu stainless steel burners – exactly the kind of heat you need for porterhouse.
- Blackstone Table Top Grill. This is also a portable grill that runs on propane, making this ideal for indoor and outdoor use alike. The grilling area measures 260 square inches, and with 12,000 BTU heat output, this grill is ideal for steaks like a porterhouse.
- Smoke Hollow TableTop Propane Gas Grill. The cooking area measures 205 square inches for this one and comes with a warming rack, as well. The product has a foldable grill and a special steel drip tray so that all the good juices from your porterhouse can drip right in.
Tips to grill porterhouse steaks like a pro
Steaks should be grilled at room temperature, and that’s the first thing you need to know. This is because the cold steak will get very hard when it comes in touch with the grill. Even if you have marinated the steak a day before, which many people do, get it out of the refrigerator at least an hour earlier. Here are some of the other tips.
- Get the seasoning right. Do not season your porterhouse steaks with salt before grilling, because that will draw all the juices out of the steak, and what you will have is a hard steak that doesn’t have the tender, juicy center. Also, make sure that you season the steak immediately after being grilled so that the seasoning goes in while the meat is hot. Don’t use a lot of seasoning, and if you like things simple, just salt and pepper should be enough.
- Cooking the steak right. Preheating the oven for any kind of heat is more than necessary. Preheat the oven for at least 15 minutes, after which the porterhouse steak must be placed on the hottest part of the cooking area. You can increase the heat and allow the steak to sear for like 2-3 minutes, which will create the classic grill marks. Keep in mind that porterhouse steaks are thicker, so cook on a lower flame and for longer to let the heat seep deep in.
- Check the meat doneness. Using a meat thermometer is the best way to know if your steak is done. Rare should be around 120F, while medium can be 135F. Check the doneness of the meat carefully and make sure that it reaches 145F before you start digging in. If you have not cooked steaks before, the finger test isn’t the best idea. It can take a while for porterhouse steaks to get ready, so be patient.
Get yourself a good grill before you start, and porterhouse steaks at home will be a new difference altogether.
Finding the best way to grill your porterhouse steak to juicy, tender perfection does not have to be a difficult task. You can find the perfect way to get the job done with one of the excellent grill options that we have outlined above. Because we get it! It can be tough to sift through the thousands of different options out there in the far reaches of the internet. So let us take out the guesswork for you so that you can easily find yourself your next amazing grill. When we get an opportunity to save our guys some time, it validates what we are doing because it will save you guys time. And when you fellas get to save time, you get more time to do the things that you love most. In this case, grilling. So we will do whatever we need to do to take the guesswork out of the situation for you and allow you to easily find yourself a grill that is going to cook that porterhouse perfectly every time. Plenty of people love a great steak. So impress your friends and family with your culinary prowess when you break out your brand new grill for the first time.
Now, you will notice that we have gathered some pretty unique options. We don’t necessarily expect you to know these brands off the top of your head, but you can rely on these brands to give you what you are looking for every time. And we did manage to find a great Cuisinart option for you guys to check out too. No matter which one of these grills you end up choosing, any one of them will absolutely get the job done. Because we were meticulous in our search, ensuring that we were finding options that not only are amazing grills, but grills that do an amazing job when grilling porterhouse steaks. It’s not just about the grill in a basic sense, but its ability to get those steaks to perfection every time you grill. If you are a guy reading this article, we already know how much you love a good porterhouse steak. Why not give yourself the absolute best grill to get the job done every time? When you compare the features of these bad boys, you will see exactly why we picked them and you’re going to love them!
When you compare the price tags of these rad grills, you will see that we were able to gather some really great options for affordable prices. A new grill to cook your porterhouse steaks does not have to cost an arm and a leg. It does not have to break the bank or burn a hole in your pocket. You can get yourself an amazing grill for an affordable price that is going to last for years to come, grilling your meat to perfection every time. The great thing about finding a company that makes one awesome product is that they typically make other awesome items, too, so peruse some other goodies while you’re at it and see if maybe there are some items out there to compliment your new grill. Each of these manufacturers makes awesome grills from high-quality products that are developed to last because they are made out of only the best materials.
And just in case you want some more information before you buy, we have got you covered. The great thing about living in the age of the internet is the fact that you can simply peruse online reviews posted by people who have bought and used these grills. And nothing is more honest than someone on the internet reviewing a product they just bought, whether that review happens to be positive or negative. Luckily, we always take the time to make sure we are picking products that have plenty of positive reviews. I mean, if we were bringing you products with a bunch of negative reviews, we just would not be doing our job now, would we? Sure, you may get a negative review here and there for the products we bring to you. You just cannot please everyone as much as we would like to! But when you check out the reviews for these grills you will see exactly why we picked them. You may just even find some specific features that turn that “maybe” into a resounding “yes”.
We have all the confidence in the world that you are going to find the best grill for cooking all your porterhouse steaks to absolute perfection every time. So get your grill on with some friends and enjoy some nice weather. You deserve it! You may just even impress your friends with how amazing those culinary skills are. Have a good time out there, fellas, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are different temperatures for rare and medium-rare doneness?
When you are finishing steak over hot heat, you need to grill it for two to three minutes on each side. For rare doneness, the temperature should read 120-125 degrees Fahrenheit. For medium-rare doneness, the temperature must read 130-135 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Which one of porterhouse or ribeye is a better grilling option?
For a ravenous meat-eater, the porterhouse is a better grilling option with fantastic flavors. But for a manageable eater, ribeye is a good option. However, in general, both for a reason are flavorful and provide high-quality cuts when grilled nicely. Thus, everyone with specific needs can get a variety of pieces from both steaks.
3. How long it takes for a porterhouse steak to get medium-well done on a gas grill?
If the porterhouse steak to be grilled is 1 or 1 ½ inches, it will require 13 to 16 minutes for 1-inch steak and 17-20 minutes for 1 ½-inch steak. Moreover, the time also depends on the heat produced by the gas grill as well.