If you have a broken bolt or stud, removing it can be a major problem. While drills can be used easily to create the right holes, getting rid of broken bolts requires special tools or drill bits. These are basically called the left-handed drill bits, and that’s because these work in the reverse gear. Typically, left-handed drill bits are often used to drill through the bolt, which helps in removing it effortlessly but without impacting the threads of the hole. For such bits to work, the bolt or stud must be as flat as possible, so that the bit can be drilled in. In case you are looking for the best drill bits for drilling out bolts, we have a guide that will sort the best options.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
IRWIN Tools 5 Piece Left Hand Cobalt Twist Drill Bit Assortment
Reviewing the best five products
Here are five sets or products that we liked –
- IRWIN Tools 5 Piece Left Hand Cobalt Twist Drill Bit Assortment. This is a 5-piece left-handed bit set from Irwin Tools, which are made of M-42 8% cobalt high-speed steel. The material ensures that you can drill through tough metals, while the 135° split point helps in easier penetration. Each bit has what the brand calls “heavy-duty spiral flute design”, which allows ejection effortlessly, and yes, you can use these with screw extractors.
- Neiko 10037A Left Hand Drill Bit Set. This is a 15-piece set from Neiko, which is designed from high speed M2 steel, with a titanium nitride coating for extra durability. The 135-degree split point and twist design prevent ‘walking’ and allow you to remove bolts pretty quickly. The left-hand design allows users to use these bits with screw extractors for removing fasteners, as well. The product package includes a metal index case for easy organization. One of the best-budget buys in this category.
- KKmoon 10pcs Cobalt Left Hand Drill Bit Set. This set from KKmoon contains 10 drill bits, of which 5 are left-hand drill bits, while the other five are alloy steel screw extractors. The screw extractors are particularly great for removing screws and bolts, while the cobalt drill bits are varied to meet diverse work needs. These bits are made from high-quality material, and yes, you get a metal case for keeping the tools.
- Drill Hog 13 Pc NIOBIUM Left Hand Drill Bit Set. This Drill Hog product contains 13-pieces of drill bits, start from 1/16to ¼, by1/64ths with all sizes included. The drill bits are made from Niobium Nb41 Steel, and the left-hand thread ensures easy removal of bolts, screws and studs. This is a completely USA-made product and comes with a nice, sturdy case. The set is not one of the cheapest but offers value for money.
- Eazypower 82380 5-Piece Left Handed M2 High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set. Eazypower brings this 5-piece left-hand drill set with diverse diameter options for better applications. All common screws and bolts that are broken or twisted can be easily removed with this set, thanks to the 135-degree split point. All bits are made from high speed steel and meant for professional and personal use. Among the best-rated online products.
How to choose the best drill bits for drilling out bolts?
There are basic aspects that must be considered before selecting drill bits for drilling out bolts. As you already know, you need left-handed drill bits, but here’s more on the things that need attention.
- Drill bits designed for removing bolts should be extremely sturdy, ideally made of high-speed steel. An extra coating of cobalt or titanium nitride is an added advantage for durability.
- Split point. You want to have bits with 135-degree split points so that you can actually drill into the broken screw or bolt without a lot of effort.
- When it comes to drill bits, the brand is of utmost importance. You want to select a brand that doesn’t compromise on construction and material. Warranty on the product is even more welcome.
Finally, do consider the number of pieces you need in the drill bit set, and if the product comes with a box, it’s a good way to keep the bits together and in place, especially when you want to use it for professional needs. Check online now to find more on left-hand drill bits and select one that fits your requirements.