Looks like you need the best drill for mixing thinset. Let’s get after it…
If you are into flooring installation business or need to handle thinset for a specific project, it’s critical that you get the mix right. For that, you need a drill. Drills are versatile, and you just need to add thinset mixer to get the job done. While looking for mixing drills, you will find a wide range of products, including mixers that are meant to be attached to these drills. So, what does it take to find the best drill for mixing thinset? We bring a guide with reviews of a few tested products so that you can take a call.
In a hurry? WE GET IT, dudes. See our top pick below!
QEP 61205 Super Grout Mixer
Reviewing the top five products
To mix thinset, you will need a drill and a mixer, and in this section below, we have listed a mix of both.
- QEP 61205 Super Grout Mixer. The best part of thinset mixers is affordability. You don’t have to spend a fortune to buy one. Most of the setting materials, including grouts, thinsets, can be mixed with this simple budget mixer from QEP. It can fit drill chucks measuring ½-inch or 3/8-inch, so check that in advance when buying a drill. The product is chrome plated, so maintenance is easy. It measures 22-inch in length and has a shaft diameter of 3/8-inch.
- CVF Supply Drill Paint Mixer. This is a very straightforward paint mixer from CVF Supply, which can be attached to power drills for mixing paint. The length of the product is 15-inch, while it has a 3-inch mixing head. The red color makes it easy to clean. If you want a cheaper mixer that works for paints, as well, this is the one to go for.
- DEWALT DW130V 9 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill with Spade Handle. Coming to drills, Dewalt is one brand that doesn’t get drills wrong, and this product comes with variable speed reversing, which offers amazing control while mixing thinsets. You get the torque of 550 RPM from a 120V – 9 Amp motor, while the product has been designed in a way that the user doesn’t feel fatigued. Ergonomics-wise, this is a great buy.
- Genesis GSHD1290 1/2″ 9.0 Amp Variable Speed Spade Handle Corded Drill. This product from Genesis comes with a ½” inch chuck, which can be used for a number of mixers, including ones we mentioned above. The 9.0 amp product has enough power to mix thin sets, and features include spade handle, which allows precise control on the product. The brand offers a 2-year home-use warranty, and the package includes chuck key, spade handle and side handle.
- Bosch GBM9-16 9 Amp 5/8″ Mixer with D-Handle. Bosch is a globally-trusted brand, and this drill mixer comes with 9.0 amp motor that offers incredible torque with a 360 Degree D handle that ensures great control while mixing. This is a variable-speed motor, which means you can mix thinset at a high speed without any extra effort. The heavy-duty keyed chuck works with varied mixers, and the product has a much longer 8-feet cord for extensive professional use.
- Nordstand 1800W Portal Electric Mixer – If you wish to mix paint, you can’t go wrong with this product. With a rotate 6-speed control and powerful 600rpm soft start motor, this heavy-duty tool is suitable for mixing cement, concrete, glue, paint, adhesive, and other mid-viscosity liquids. It also features a durable and ergonomic hand mixer designed for the user’s convenience. You’ll find a trigger switch with a lock-in pin that allows continuous action without requiring you to hold the trigger down while mixing. If you’re looking for a drill bit for professional and DIY uses, this product will make an exceptional choice.
How to choose the best drill for mixing thinset?
The range of drills for mixingthinsets is pretty huge. There are basically two kinds of styles that you can check. The first one looks more like a steering wheel, while the other one is more like a corded drill but heavier in size. The choice depends on what you want to use the drill for, but for thinsets in particular, you can settle for the corded ones easily. Below are some more tips at a glance.
- Go for a lower RPM drill, which allows you to work with thinsets better, and yes, don’t forget to check the torque, because such drills need to have the power to mix some of the heavy materials.
- Always go for a drill that has variable speed control, which allows one to work a different kind of standard mixtures, which uses heavy materials such as concrete. It is also wise to check the handle because the drill needs to be easy to handle.
- Switch and speed settings are other aspects to consider. Some drills may have a both forward and reverse switching options and different speeds, so you can actually decide on how the thinset will be mixed.
Finally, consider the brand and make sure that you settle for a reliable drill. Also, you can check the mixers we mentioned
At the end of the day, finding the right attachment for your drill to mix thinset shouldn’t be a huge challenge. It doesn’t have to be a huge headache and it doesn’t have to be frustrating. That’s why we’re here! We take on all comers when it comes to the challenge of finding the best products for our Club ManDude readers. By taking the time to meticulously search through all the options out there on the internet, we can cultivate lists of the best products that are out there. And these thinset mixers are exactly the right tool for the job. We’re dudes who love our power tools, and having the proper attachments to get the job done is part of the task. We want to give you confidence when you go to make your choice. And we have our own confidence in the options we’ve managed to find for you!
When you look at these mixers, you will see that we have chosen brands that many dudes love to use. Tool manufacturers that are well-known have a ton of skin in the game and will always continuously provide quality products that are sure to please while remaining durable because they’re made from high-quality materials. Take our number one choice on the list, made by QEP. They have been making quality products for a number of years. And that goes for every option we have on our list! You will see name brand choices that provide excellent options no matter what tool you buy. And the great thing about finding an awesome tool manufacturer is that you can peruse all the other great options they have when it comes to other tools. DeWalt is my own favorite, and they make such awesome tools. They are one of the most reliable brands and a lot of dudes have them as number one on the list. Plus, all the other options we’ve gathered for the list make excellent tools that are sure not to disappoint.
When we make our lists, we always want to make sure that we’re also bringing you options that aren’t going to break the bank. It’s part of how we put these products together! We want to bring you options with comparable prices that won’t cost an arm and a leg. And just because one option is the most expensive on the list doesn’t mean we’re always going to put it as the number one option. We take into account not only price when we choose our best option, but the durability, high-quality materials, the brand, functionality. The list goes on! So it’s not all about the money, it’s about recommending an excellent product to our fans that is going leave them satisfied that they chose whichever option suits them best. It makes it all worth it here at Club ManDude. When our readers love the products that we recommend after purchasing, it validates the options we so carefully took the time to pick for you.
Now let’s say you want some more information before you buy. We’ve got you. There is nothing more honest than a person who’s reviewing a product on the internet. You can really get the truth of the matter when you dig into some of the reviews out there for various products across the internet. So head over to Amazon and check out some buyer verified reviews. You will surely not be disappointed. There is a plethora of intel you can peruse to see exactly what consumers are saying about the products they’ve bought. You may even find specific features of these products that pique your interest enough to say “yes”. Taking the time to make sure we’re bringing you quality products with a majority of positive reviews is the name of the game for us. Hey, we wouldn’t be doing our job if we recommended products with a bunch of negative reviews now, would we? So take a look at what other people are saying before you buy!
At the end of the day, we want you to be able to mix your thinset easily and simply before you start laying your tile. As a guy who has done tile myself, I totally can appreciate the enjoyment that comes from it as an art form. It’s not a bad trade to get into, it can be pretty enjoyable. So set yourself up with the right mixer before you get into it, that way you have no headaches and you can jump into the fun part. Before you get into your next big tile project, take a look at some of the mixers we’ve found. Even if you already have one, you definitely came here for a reason, right? So take a look at the options we came up with, they will surely not disappoint and you will be on your way to knocking out that next awesome project.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of drill is better for mixing thinset – corded or cordless?
If you are thinking of mixing thinset, you are going to need consistent torque and power. Because of this reason, it is better to go with a corded drill instead of a cordless model. However, cordless ones come with a brushless motor, which is a major advantage over the traditional corded designs in drills.
2. Will I be able to mix thinset without using a drill?
You will be required to mix thinset in multiple small batches to avoid it from hardening before you apply it completely. You can try to mix thinset without the help of a drill, but it will end up taking a lot of effort and time.
3. How long can Thinset last after the mixing process?
Thinset doesn’t consist of long-lasting mortar. It has Portland cement, and it is known to react to water and harden very fast. You cannot leave it dry, even by keeping it in an airtight container. You can expect the mixture to become hard in a couple of hours.